Chapter 7 - Ravtell


...
Author's Note

WWFire

By the time they were out, the front of the school ground was already empty with only a couple of guard patrol and teachers walking around. Because the students were still young, their parents warned them to go straight home when the class was over. Though, some of the deviants preferred to hang around the city center, where the city garden and magic tools’ market were located, before they went home at noon. Even if today was their graduation day, the school was not packed with celebrations. After all, passing the primary education was nothing special --anyone can pass it with practically zero chance of failing without much effort. (This was also the reason why the children of nobles were usually homeschooled throughout their primary education.) The two walked hand-in-hand throughout a common path until they reached the city garden, where they usually part ways. “Hey, wanna come to visit my place?” Catherine suddenly asked, still holding on Helen's hand. “I’m sure mom would be delighted to have you!” “Ah… I’m sorry, Catherine,” Helen said. “I urgently need to ask my grandma about something and I have a promise to help someone at noon.” “Aw, come on!” Catherine complained as she crossed her arms and pouted. “We wouldn’t be able to meet each other often now that we’ve graduated!” Helen sighed then said, “I can’t break my promise now can’t I?” Catherine contemplated a bit and suddenly came up with another idea. “Oh! What about you come for dinner then?” She looked closely on Helen’s face. “Don’t tell me you have another thing to do…” “Hm…” Helen stopped to think… yep, she did not have anything to do during that time. Asking her grandma’s permission was all she needed and she doubted that her grandma would not allow it, considering Catherine was her best friend who had visited them several times in the past. “Okay, dinner time it is!” Helen replied. “Yay!” “So, where should I meet you?” “No need, my butler will pick you up!” Catherine blurted out, suddenly realizing her mistake. “Ah...” “Ah! I knew it, you were a noble all this time!” Helen poked on Catherine’s hips, causing her to flinch. “Hyi! Stop that!” “Does living in the northern district fun? Hmph! I shall poke you more!” The city they were in, Ravtell, was the capital city of Auriel Kingdom. Where a huge mountain range surrounded its northern region. Due to its environment, the palace of the royal family was built at the northernmost part of the kingdom, making the steep mountains as natural protection against external threats. Therefore, it can be said that the further down the north one lived in the city, the higher their status as a noble would be. “Hey, I wasn’t trying to hide it too much! Ahyi!” Helen scored another point on her hips. “You could have asked. Ahn!” Catherine put up her hands, but Helen’s finger still managed to slip in between them nonetheless. “You little!” Catherine quickly approached Helen and grabbed her head. “Stop or I will do this!” “Omph!” Helen ended up landing on Catherine’s chest again. “Mof fair!” She spoke with a muffled voice as her hands flailing in the air. Helen struggled to escape from her friend’s clutch, but this time, Catherine did not relent. In the end, she gave in. “Fine, I will stop... lef me go pwease…” “Promise?” “Yea, pwomise…” Hearing her words, Catherine was finally willing to let go and took a step back. Meanwhile, Helen could only pout after seeing her friend's smug look. “Hmph! I will grow taller and have my revenge one day!” “Hehe, you are welcome to try,” Catherine said, slightly puffing her chest, hands on her waist. “Just you wait!” Having said that, Helen dashed away to the east direction --toward her home's direction. “See you later!” Catherine yelled, waving both of her hands high. She then turned towards the north and walked off. To get to the northern district, she had to cut through the tree-filled path of the city garden. After strolling for a while, Catherine searched for a deserted spot in the garden and looked around to see if anyone was following her. Having done confirming that no one was around, her expression suddenly turned serious as she called out into the void next to her. “Yohan.” Her tone stern. Not long after, a figure cloaked in a black coat merge into reality and appeared quietly. He had black hair and a pair of calm eyes, yet his smile was that of a wicked devil. “Yes, m'lady?” the figure said, the smile never left his face. “Send one from the Shadow Squad to follow Helen and keeping watch against the woman named Sera.” “As you wish,” he replied promptly. Yohan retreated into shadows between the trees. But just before he hid once again, Catherine spoke. “One more thing!” “Yes?” “Tell someone to escort Helen to the mansion later.” “...Affirmative.” With that, he returned to the shadow. Completely disappearing. Afterwards, Catherine continued walking off toward her home whilst thinking, “Now, shall I ask mom for the record of that woman?” … The sun shone the city with an auspicious ray. Even if it was mid-day, Helen did not swelter as the few clouds floating in the sky created a comfortable parasol just enough to warm the day. Most of the shops and stalls had opened up their doors for business, though, some will not open until the sunset. “A dozen of Eustrix’s eggs for 5 coppers only! Come and get it!” “Quality fresh milk from Ruby Taurus, you don’t want to miss this out!” “Claws of Limber Liger, a suitable souvenir for those came from afar!” “Boss! Can you repair my equipment? I’ll double the price if you can finish it by tomorrow!” Shouts like these were a common occurrence in the Ravtell city, where it hosted the largest commercial power in the whole neighbourhood kingdoms. From high quality daily products, food, weapons, luxuries, to magical artifacts; all could be found in the city. Even if the competitions were fierce, many merchants and opportunists were willing to risk all they had to stay in this flourishing and safe capital of the Aurelia Kingdom. Helen did not dislike this ambience. Rather, the lively environment further lifted her mood. Whenever she walked, the streams of people never ceased to pass. Suddenly, a question came to Helen's mind. ‘Why did Catherine attended commoner's school if she is a noble? Could it be...’ “Her family is in financial trouble?” she gasped as her thought leaked out. But on second thought, she would not be hiring a butler if her family was that poor. ‘Well, that can come later. For now…’ she needed to hurry home and ask her grandma. Now that Helen saw a glimpse of her true family history, there were more questions than it answered. Her grandma… was her only hope in resolving the whole mess.